Friday, August 7, 2009

Another Rough Day

I was hoping that as the anniversary of my dad's death approached later this month I would start to feel a sense of relief that the worst year of my life was over. Unfortunately, that's not what I'm feeling today. Instead, I am thinking about how I lost a part of may family and how my kids will never have the type of family I knew growing up.

Its hard not seeing my dad anymore when I go home. Its hard having my kids not know him for as long as they should have. What is even harder is knowing that my kids will never know a family the way I did. No matter how happy my ex or I are and how great our partners may be, there will just never be that real sense of family that either of us had growing up. Their lives will forever be split between the two of us. It just doesn't seem fair. Of course the window to fix this has closed so its something I simply must live with. Knowing this just makes things harder. I am sure I made many of my decisions in a haze of depression and grief. I know I was looking for happiness and I did find some, but maybe I could have found it right where I was.

The hardest thing about divorce is what happens to your children. A mother's love for her kids is like nothing else. Despite how happy I am with my partner I don't know if the guilt of hurting my kids will balance it out. I just hope they come to realize that sometimes life just happens and takes you on a very unexpected ride with a very unexpected outcome. But that the whole time they are the most important people in the world to me and I will do everything I can to give them the happiest home life possible.

So I think today I will just take it easy and try to focus on all the good things I do have in my life, because there are a lot of things to be grateful for.

1 comment:

Political Economist said...

It is a difficult thing the have to deal with a death in the family. My brother passed away 7 years ago and there is still not a day that goes by that I don't think about him. The only advice that I could possibly leave for you on this is that life goes on. Life continues for you and those around you. The goal that you should have is to make a difference in their lives the way your father made a difference in yours. Life will never be the same. But it is up to you, and only you, to attempt to make life a little better for those around you. Once you discover that your kids will still have a life. You will still have a life to live. Your father I am sure would be more proud of you living your life to its fullest and loving your children the way you were loved. Just remember that life is not always bad. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel. But to get to that light you have to continue on and live your life.